Monday, July 18, 2005

Beck

Beck - Farewell Ride (Subtle Remix)
I love me some Beck. But, man, Guero just wasn't any good at all. The "Hell Yes" EP got me all ready for some hotness to drop, but shit just didn't work out. With the exception of the hott "E-Pro," basically every remix of any song I've heard off that album kills the original. The remix of "Farewell Ride" by abstract hip-hoppers Subtle is no exception. The original's beat is just a lazy lumbering beat, a handclap, a harmonica and a pedal steel. It sounds like a sub-par outtake from Sea Change. It ain't offensive, but it ain't interesting. In fact, I'm listening to it right now, and I have to force myself to pay attention to it, or it just works it's way to the back of my brain.

Enter Subtle. Subtle, for the uninitiated, are made of members of the underground hip-hop collective/label/sub-genre Anticon. And, to these ears, they are the artistic pinnacle of Anticon. Their album A New White killed, and was a near flawless crystalization of the Anticoncept. On their remix of "Farewell Ride" they drop everything but Beck's vocals, and they don't even keep all of those. Instead, they throw down a languid, creepy beat, some jazz noir horns and some guest rhymes from Doseone and turn the song into a horror-movie funeral procession. A farewell ride indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home